Full-time Administrative Assistant (Guest House Management) at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
The Job : Administrative Assistant (Guest House Management)
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Job Number: 527626
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Post
- Under the supervision of the Operations Officer, the incumbent will ensure that UNICEF guests are adequately accommodated; guest houses are functioning in line with the organizations’ requirements and oversee all service providers in charge of cleaning, cooking, laundry, security etc.
- Operate the UNICEF guest house to the agreed organization standards.
- Manage rooms on lease for longer terms and ensure tenants are accommodated satisfactorily
- Manage room reservations in UNICEF guest houses or elsewhere in UNDSS approved accommodations for staff coming on mission to Maiduguri.
- Manage and participate in the check-in and check-out process, ensuring that it is swift, efficient and pleasant
- Oversee guest departure process, ensuring accounts are properly charged, correct statements are provided and ensuring guest satisfaction while encouraging future business
- Ensure that financial transactions are properly recorded and manage guest house services budgets
- Keep track of inventory and ordering of supplies related to guest services
- Ensure that contractors and services providers in charge of providing services at the guest houses, are performing satisfactorily as expected. Manage all service contracts related to guest houses.
- Ensure that the bedrooms are set up and ready for check in as per the agreed and advertised times. To ensure all guest house bedrooms, common areas and store rooms are cleaned by the service provider agents within the agreed time guidelines.
- Ensure the reception, kitchen and beverage outlets, common areas, stores, back office and staff areas are maintained in a clean and tidy condition.
- Ensure that all equipment, materials and lightning are correctly working in the whole guest house. Ensure maintenance and repairs are timely and satisfactorily carried out.
- Deal with any guest queries/complaints in a polite and friendly manner ensuring guest satisfaction and all complaints, comments, special requests and other business are to be recorded in the daily handover log.
- Ensure that all guest lost properties are correctly reported/logged.
- Ensure daily maintenance checks are carried out in all bedrooms and common areas, relaying any issues to persons responsible.
- Ensure clear communications with other admin units and other UNICEF sections to ensure minimal impact on guest service.
- Operate where applicable the restaurant/kitchen to the agreed guest house standards.
- Ensure that all monies are kept in a safe and secure area adopting the guest house cash handling procedures.
- Balance all financials at the end of the day.
- Continuously seek to endeavor to improve the guest house efficient operations, and knowledge of own job function.
- Attend office meetings as required.
- Provide an efficient and friendly service to guests at all times, accepting flexible work schedule as may be necessary for uninterrupted service to guests.
- Wear presentable full uniform and duty badge when on duty
- Ensure a high standard of personal hygiene and grooming.
- Ensure fire safety in the guests house at all times by adhering to all house’ fire procedures.
- Report on activities and Tracking and reviewing key data including occupancy statistics, room inventory, and rate plans
- Comply with the organization policies in all aspects including the security procedures.
- Carry out any other ad hoc duties as directed by the supervisor and or all designated management.
Minimum Qualifications and Competencies Required
- Completion of Secondary Education is required. A university degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the administration and management of guest house with national or international humanitarian organization is required.
- Managerial qualities, along with good organizational and initiative taking skills
- Good professional communication skills, including ability to provide outstanding customer services and maintain positive employee relations.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, stressful work environment
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software.
Core Values (Required):
- Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required):
- Drive for Results
- Working with People
Functional Competencies (Required):
- Learning & Researching
- Planning & Organizing
- Following Instructions & Procedures
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
How To Apply
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be conta