Contract International Alert Recruitment – WPS Website Design and Hosting Consultant
International Alert is one of the world’s leading peacebuilding organisations, with 30 years of experience. Our vision is that people and their societies can resolve conflicts without violence, working together to build sustainable and inclusive peace. Our mission is to break cycles of violence and to build sustainable peace by working with people directly affected by violent conflict to find lasting solutions; shaping policies and practices to reduce and prevent violence, and to support sustainable peace; and collaborating with all those striving for peace to strengthen our collective voice and impact. We work in over 25 countries and territories around the world.
The Job : WPS Website Design and Hosting Consultant
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
UN Security Council Resolution 1325 (UNSCR 1325) unanimously adopted in October 2000, stressed the importance of the equal participation and full involvement of women in all efforts to maintain and promote peace and security. In the years since, ten additional resolutions on Women, Peace and Security (WPS) have been adopted. That created a robust framework for implementing the WPS agenda and reinforced global commitments, treaties and conventions on women’s rights, including the 1979 Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and the 1995 Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action. To deliver these commitments at the national level, the United Nations has encouraged Member States to adopt National Action Plans on WPS (NAPs-WPS) to implement the resolutions and monitor the progress of the WPS agenda. As of September 2019, 82 countries have adopted NAPs-WPS.
The Government of Nigeria through adopted its NAP-WPS in 2013 and launched a second version for the period 2017-2020 with the support of Nigerian Stability Reconciliation Programme (NSRP), the European Union and UN Women. The second edition addresses the key issues of violent extremism, post-conflict and reintegration challenges, crisis management and recovery as well as monitoring and evaluation. As at September 2019, 11 States have adopted a State Action Plan (SAP), and Wase – Plateau State and Faggae – Kano State have adopted Local Action Plans (LAPs) at grassroots level. Bauchi and Benue States are yet to develop and implement their own SAP. A SAP provides a guide for state and non-state actors on gender mainstreaming and gender-sensitive approaches to peacebuilding and security processes. The Localization of UNSCR 1325 is a people-based, bottom-up strategy that is based on the premise that local ownership and participation lead to more effective policy-making and implementation.
With funding support from the Embassy of Norway, and technical support from UN Women; International Alert in Nigeria is implementing the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) project in Bauchi and Benue States. The overall objective of the project is to support the achievement of gender-inclusive and sustainable peace in Nigeria through:
Increased women’s effective participation in peace and security processes, peace negotiations, conflict prevention and resolution.
Improved public perception on the role of women in peace and security, at all levels through opportunities for engagement and dialogue.
Against this background, International Alert seeks to hire a consultant to design and establish a website to host a compendium featuring “Community Women’s Peacebuilding Storytelling Initiatives”, where the impact of the WPS project will be documented and curated. These include case studies, human-interest stories, activities of women mediators network, audio testimonies, video case studies, radio programme episodes, pictures from project activities, reports, essays and related opinion pieces on women, peace and security.
3. Scope of Work
As part of the project, Alert will collect case study information on women in peacebuilding through interviews with women involved in peace and security initiatives. The aim will be to document the impact and added value of women’s participation in peacebuilding. This case study information will then be packaged in the following ways: a) written case studies; b) audio testimony; c) video case studies. All of these will be published as an e-compendium on “Community Women’s Peacebuilding Storytelling Initiatives”. The Consultant will establish the website for the compendium to document the implementation, output, outcome and impact of the project for the consumption of the general public and the target communities in Bauchi and Benue States.
The Consultant, working together with the Senior Programme Officer, Advocacy and Communications will ensure that the website is reflective of the objectives of the Women, Peace and Security project, with a user-friendly interface, essential for the success of the website The three most important features of the website will be a section on local community stories of project successes; stories and profiles of women mediators; and social behavior change communication content. The website is scheduled for launch in January 2020. The consultant will be expected to design, develop and maintain the website.
Stage 1: Review, Consult and Recommend
- Make recommendations for design, usability and technical requirements
- Make recommendations regarding web traffic software for detailed reports of visitors to the website
- Submit workplan to be reviewed and approved by International Alert
- Provide and install a tool to confirm the compatibility of the HTML pages with other devices
Stage 2: Design
- Create templates necessary for the site using the CMS and the actual corporate design
- Maintain cross-platform, cross-browser compatibility so that the web site is accessible from a variety of different environments and electronic devices (pocket pc, mobile, etc)
- Maintain adherence to Web standards and Accessibility
- Review content of website
Stage 3: Integrate Content with Design
- Assist International Alert in the input of all content using the CMS
- Incorporate International Alert feedback from Stage 2 into this phase
- Develop graphics, logos and related multimedia content where necessary
- Determine appropriate compression techniques, resolutions, sizes, color maps, and depths to ensure that images are delivered at sufficiently high speed and quality
Stage 4: Test
Check bugs and problems, diagnose and fix them
Stage 5: Follow-up and Continuity
- Assist/advise International Alert on the development of various web-based tools we may wish to develop
- Provide complete technical documentation related to site and its components
- Provide a diagram, site map of the website
- Train selected staff in all software and technical requirements related to website renovation.
- Inception report on the design and implementation of the WPS website.
- Ownership and copyright of website to International Alert
- Manual on the use and application of the website.
- Final report including the design of the website, tested and operational system.
- The duration of the consultancy will be for 30 working days across the timeline of December 20th, 2019 – February 20th, 2020.
- Within 10 days of signing the contract, the consultant will present the inception report.
- Final report and final version of the digital platform along with its products tested and operational will be submitted by the end of 3 months of signing the contract.
6. Requirements for Consultant
- Minimum of 4 years professional experience in developing information technology solutions, digital platforms, web based and mobile applications and innovative technology designs.
- Extensive experience with CMS including experience with both commercial and Open Source systems.
- Demonstrated expertise of working with international NGOs, in the humanitarian and development sectors in Nigeria in developing innovative technological solutions for development issues.
- Experience in web development programming languages (PHP, perl, ASP, Python, JSP etc.)
- Experience with web servers (Apache, Tomcat, IIS, Zope etc.)
How To Apply
Please send your Expression of Interest, indicating your experience, samples of past work done, the total price of the services including all applicable taxes to [email protected] and copy [email protected]
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, you can assume your application has been unsuccessful. Please do not send follow-up emails or calls.
International Alert is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants will be judged strictly on the basis of merit.