Full-time Research Scientist – EHA Clinic Recruitment
EHA Clinics, a subsidiary of eHealth Africa, is a chain of clinics spread across Nigeria that provides innovative and technology-driven healthcare to the population. EHA Clinics currently operates three Clinics located in Abuja and Kano and is working to expand to other parts of Nigeria. EHA Clinics uses state of the art equipment to bridge the gap in the provision of high-quality diagnostics and healthcare through routine services (general consultations, laboratory investigations, pharmaceuticals, annual medical checks, child wellness checks, ultrasonography…etc) and specialized services (telemedicine, medical evacuation, home care, dental care, ophthalmology, and radiology).
Within every clinic location, EHA Clinics simultaneously implements a Community Health Program which utilizes an innovative financing mechanism to promote universal health coverage and access for the low-income, uninsured and underserved population through a low-cost, pro-poor prepayment scheme. These programs form the basis of care EHA Clinics provide, catering to different cadres of the population based on economic profiles.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
The Job : Research Scientist
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- The Research Scientist will work under the supervision of the Associate Manager, Lab. S/he will rotate between the molecular laboratory and the research laboratory. The research scientist should have good knowledge and experience in research technologies, techniques, and methodologies.
- The ability to work in interdisciplinary teams and with engineers / applied scientists is a must. Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to supervise students required
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned:
- Set up the test sites on a daily basis.
- Prepare test samples for analysis, conduct processing of the samples (nasopharyngeal, oropharyngeal, saliva, etc), and interpret results.
- Maintaining laboratory equipment by performing checks (i.e. calibrations, reagent replenishment) and organizing performance maintenance or services as required in conjunction with laboratory staff and project schedules.
- Maintaining laboratory stocks regularly to ensure supply is maintained.
- Clean laboratory equipment, not limited to, biosafety cabinets, pipetting robot, incubators, fume hoods, water baths, freezers, fridges on a periodic basis.
- Responsible for providing general assistance in the molecular and research laboratories.
- Completion of training records, and ensuring that all records presented for review and approval are at the appropriate standard.
- Providing training to other team members as instructed by the supervisor. Ensuring all training delivered is documented appropriately.
- Produce and maintain accurate records in accordance with site guidelines and ensure all required documentation and logbooks are completed on time, accurately, and legibly.
- Responsible for adhering to all company standards in the areas of safety, housekeeping, and quality, notifying management of any discrepancies.
- Carefully execute laboratory experiments through adherence to the standard operating protocols.
- Supports assay design and assay development by critically analyzing and deriving insights from experimental data.
- Works with a team of scientists to communicate experiments and conclusions for review.
- Work with project leads and a team of scientists to build or improve existing molecular assay
- Designs, performs, and/or oversees experiments and data collection to ensure data integrity, quality control, and protocol compliance.
- Devise or help to draw up new research proposals and apply for grant funding.
- Perform more complex experimental techniques e.g. PCR setup and analysis and genomic sequencing, as required.
- Generate technical reports and share progress at internal and external meetings.
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures.
- EHA Clinics requires all staff to keep their knowledge and skills up to date.
- S/he is expected to continue to learn throughout their career at EHA Clinics through continuing professional development (CPD). The professional body relating to specialist areas will have information on the type of CPD to be carried out and how much should be completed each year.
Qualifications and Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science or related fields. M.Sc or higher degree will be an advantage.
- Not Applicable
Key Skills and Attributes
- Must have exceptional analytical skills.
- Must be highly observant and detail-oriented.
- Must have excellent computer and technology skills and knowledge of genetic software.
- Must have superior problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent critical thinking skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to effectively train subordinates.
- The ability to monitor and control resources.
- Strong time management skills.
The following benefits are available with this offer of employment:
- Health Insurance: EHA Clinics will cover medical expenses for yourself, your spouse, and up to two dependents. Further details are contained in the Nigeria Addendum to the EHA Clinics Employee Handbook.
- Group Life Assurance: EHA Clinics provides life insurance for you as our employee. This insurance is payable in the event of your death. The effective date of coverage will be upon successful completion of your probationary period.
- Group and Personal Accident: EHA Clinics provides Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (ADD) for you as our employee. AD & D covers death by accidental means (rather than natural causes) and dismemberment. The effective date of coverage is your hire date.
- Pension: EHA Clinics supports employee retirement preparation and investment by paying a 10% pension contribution on top of the statutory pension contribution of 8% that is already factored into your salary.
- Annual Leave: You are entitled to 21 days paid annual leave accrued at 1.75 days / month. Employees may begin scheduling leave with their direct supervisor upon successful completion of their probationary period.
Application Closing Date
How To Apply