Full-time Terre des hommes (Tdh) Recruitment – Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Team Leader
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
The Job : Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Team Leader
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Borno, Nigeria
Reporting to the Deputy Child Protection Project Manager, and in close supervision of Program Manager, the Child Protection and Education in Emergencies Team Leader is responsible for supervising and coordinating a number of Child Protection and Education program activities including Case Management, Psychosocial Support, Community Outreach, Formal and non-formal education and management and operation of Temporary Learning Sites. Responsibilities include direct management of a team consisting of 5 Case Work Officers, 2 PSS Officers, 4 Education Officers and 1 Community Development Officer. The post holder is expected to provide on-going technical support, mentoring and guidance to the project team to ensure child protection and education activities in the project locations are carried on a timely basis ensuring the high quality of the response.
Responsibilities & Tasks
Team & Human Resource Management
Participate in the identification, recruitment, training and management of staff members.
Provide appropriate training, mentoring, coaching and technical guidance of the team under her/his responsibility.
Participate in ensuring a positive working environment and good team dynamics (solve out potential conflicts) and follow the staff under his/her direct responsibility on a regular basis.
Follow up staff attendances, leaves and provide monthly attendance sheets to her/his manager to facilitate payroll process
- Ensure that the case management system for children and adults is aligned with the Inter-agency Case Management Guidelines, adheres and refers to the inter-agency standardized operating procedures and tools.
- Ensure that Case Work Officers thoroughly follow the case management steps ensuring that each step is properly implemented and documented in the individual’s file.
- Conduct weekly supervision meetings with all case worker officers, providing technical advice on cases and psychosocial support.
- Map existing specialized services and make sure that the referral pathway is up-to-date to facilitate beneficiaries’ access.
- Ensure data is collected systematically and accurately and logically presented to the line manager.
Under the supervision of the line manager and based on the assessment’s findings, design an array of age and gender appropriate psychosocial interventions for children, adolescents and caregivers.
Support the PSS Officer to draft a weekly activity schedule and revise it regularly as to make it adaptable to the evolving needs on the ground and according to the logistic needs and constraints.
Ensure that signs of mental health and psychosocial distresses are identified, registered and cared for in timely and quality manner through referrals when appropriate.
Train PSS Staff on basic concepts of case management in order to timely refer cases of individuals at risk or of affected by protection concerns.
Conduct an initial assessment of the protection risks and concerns in his/her area of responsibility with an aim of defining contextually-relevant community mobilization strategy.
Under the supervision of the line manager and based on the assessment’s findings, design an array of age and gender appropriate social events, educational programmes, awareness raising sessions.
Ensure a close supervision of daily community outreach activities, support the staff in prioritizing interventions if needed, overcoming challenges and seeking synergies with other actors.
Provide daily guidance and support to the staff, suggest changes, updates and improvements of relevant awareness raising, psychosocial, educational activities when needed.
- Promote and ensure project activities are in line with child protection and humanitarian principles.
- Ensure the project activities are well-integrated into the North-eastern Nigeria child protection system and humanitarian coordination practices and guidelines.
- Ensure Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Minimum Standards are mainstreamed through all the programmatic activities.
- Report serious cases of abuse committed against children to the Child Protection Project Manager with respect to the confidentiality.
Education in Emergencies
- Liaise with humanitarian actors and government authorities for coordinated and harmonized education programming in the project areas.
- Supervise and provide technical support to the project team members for the quality implementation of the educational activities.
- Manage and update the monitoring tools used for the project on a regular and timely basis.
Coordination & Representation
- Work in close collaboration with Tdh partners and other key actors.
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities and with other departments (programme and support) of Tdh Nigeria.
- Participate in fora and meetings held at site level in her/his field of expertise, when relevant and necessary.
Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
Contribute to updating the security plan on his/her area(s) of intervention.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages and in English (speaking/reading/writing).
- Education Degree: University degree in social work, social studies, psychology/ child’s psychology, counseling or any other related discipline.
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years experience in the field of child protection / protection/ Education / SGBV/ social work / case management.
- Knowledge & skills: Good analytical and writing skills.
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Other: Knowledge of protection systems in Northeastern Nigeria/Good capacity building and supervisory skills/ Excellent knowledge of protection issues (Child Protection and SGBV) and best practices / Previous experience child protection and education in emergencies is highly desirable.
- Acquaintance with NGO’ rules, procedures and regulations;
- Acquaintance with the Child Protection Minumim Standards,
- Good knowledge of the Inter-agency Guidelines for Case Management and Child Protection.
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
How To Apply