Full-time Translators without Borders (TWB): Kanuri Language Support – National Position Recruitment
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
The Job : Kanuri Language Support – National Position
Job Status: Full Time Job,Graduate/Exp
Location: Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria
In northeast Nigeria, humanitarian organizations are working to support some 1.9 million internally displaced people (IDPs) and the communities hosting them. But language is a challenge: in this linguistically diverse part of the world, people forced from their homes don’t always speak the same language as the people around them. International aid organizations may lack the skills to communicate with everyone in their own mother tongue. They often also lack information about the language and communication needs of affected people.
TWB has been providing language services in northeast Nigeria for just over a year, building humanitarian capacity for communication in the right language and format. A lot needs to be done. TWB in Nigeria is rapidly scaling up its teams and programs to support responders’ efforts to communicate more effectively, with funding from DFID and ECHO and partnerships with key humanitarian responders like the Norwegian Refugee Council, the International Organization for Migration and the International Rescue Committee.
We do not want one third of internally displaced people to lack information in their language. We do not want widespread communication gaps to compromise data quality. We do not want the too common reliance on written communication to exclude vulnerable groups.
So we innovate, we research, we bring unique expertise and approaches to:
- Provide evidence to inform communication strategies, as we have just done with our latest report on audio communication for example.
- Promote accountability through two-way communication in the right languages. TWB helps tailor community feedback mechanisms to the language and communication needs of the most vulnerable.
- Reduce confusion with multilingual terminology databases. TWB’s sectoral glossaries are available for free on a mobile web app with offline and audio capability.
- Train interpreters and field workers. Training in the basics of interpreting limits information loss and aids confidential, ethical support services. Language training for data collectors and program staff promotes data quality and program impact.
- Improve understanding with plain language, translation, and audio. Clear content in plain language using pictures and audio benefits the widest audience. We offer written and audio translations, and support pictorial messaging.
The Kanuri Language Support, under the guidance of the Nigeria Language Services Coordinator, will be responsible for the high-quality of TWB language services in Kanuri, in northeastern Nigeria and beyond. Specifically, s/he will deliver and/or ensure the quality of written translations, transcriptions, audio recording, terminology tools, and other language services to humanitarian organizations in Kanuri, and contribute to monitoring, research and training activities.
- Delivery of translation and language services
- Use TWB online platforms to produce high quality and timely translations assigned for translation, revision, or quality assurance, as well as conduct transcriptions
- ● Collaborate on voice data projects, including providing and coordinating voice recordings
- Collaborate with Kanuri Community Team Leader and Nigeria Language Services Coordinator to make sure that alternative workflows are in place and available to translators who cannot access and/or use TWB’s web-based translation platform
- Research, contribute to and/or write language factsheets guides, do’s and don’ts, etc.
- Test interpreters or staff members to assess language competency levels
- Contribute to setting up and facilitating a peer network of interpreters and translators in north-east Nigeria
- Support the implementation of field activities, including comprehension studies, needs assessments and wider research on language
- Support TWB’s efforts to scale up operations in Nigeria and the Lake Chad basin
- Initiate or contribute to regular reporting as required
- Maintain open and professional relationships with the internal TWB team, TWB volunteers and partner agencies
- Contribute to a positive, innovative and supportive work environment
- Any other duties relevant to the job description as needed
- The role will evolve during the course of the initial deployment as projects and activities develop so flexibility and the willingness to adapt to constantly changing circumstances is important.
- Mother tongue Kanuri speaker with superb Kanuri writing skills
- 3+ years’ experience in translation or interpretation into Kanuri, ideally from English
- Ability to quickly learn new online systems
- Excellent level of written and spoken English
- Willingness to travel to insecure locations for work
- Professional translation or interpreting qualifications
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations, particularly in development and/or humanitarian action
- Familiar with office management (financial, logistics) routine
- Experience of Computer Assisted Translation tools
- Experience in team work management/facilitation
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, be proactive and offer a solution-oriented approach
- Determined and committed to high quality standards with attention to detail
- Ability to establish effective and collaborative working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise work, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic approach to work
- Resourcefulness and ability to innovate to find creative solutions
- Disciplined and with a strong sense of accountability and integrity
- Interest in and commitment to TWB’s humanitarian mandate
How To Apply